This Installation Guide has been designed as a set of sequential steps. Complete each step before proceeding to the next.
Installing MapR Hadoop involves these steps:
- Planning the Cluster
- Determine which services will be run on each node. It is important to see the big picture before installing and configuring the individual management and compute nodes.
- Preparing Each Node
- Check that each node is a suitable platform for its intended use. Nodes must meet minimum requirements for operating system, memory and disk resources and installed software, such as Java. Including unsuitable nodes in a cluster is a major source of installation difficulty.
- Installing MapR
- Each node in the cluster, even purely data/compute nodes, runs several services. Obtain and install MapR packages, using either a package manager, a local repository, or a downloaded tarball.
- After installing services on a node, configure it to participate in the cluster, then initialize the raw disk resources.
- Bringing Up the Cluster
- Start the nodes and check the cluster. Verify node communication and that services are up and running.
- Create one or more volumes to organize data.
- Installing Hadoop Ecosystem Components
- Install additional Hadoop components alongside MapR services.
To begin, start by Planning the Cluster.